Experiencing a Power Surge in your home?

Lasting only a few seconds a power surge is usually caused by a disruption of the regular flow of electricity, whether it’s from a lightning strike, faulty wiring or a high energy device turned on or off like an air conditioner, heater or a fridge. Not only is it an inconvenience to reset your breaker box, it could also be causing damage to other electrical appliances within your home or worse, an electrical fire.

If you experience power surges in your home, it might be time to have an electrician check out the issue. In Australia, mains voltage run at 240 volts and 50 hz. Countries like Japan and the United States sell appliances that run 110 volts and 60hz. If your using an appliance brought from countries like these, they could cause a surge to power and damage to other electrical items in your home.

You can trip your circuit breaker from an overload of too many appliances plugged into the same power board.

Overloading power boards is the biggest culprit for tripping your circuit breaker. Avoid plugging multiple electrical items into your power board, try spreading the load around the room and never plug power boards into other power boards as this can cause a circuit overload. Purchase power boards with safety switches so the board will shut off if there is a problem and unplug any appliances that aren’t being used.

Did you know a phone charger still draws power, even if you don’t have your phone plugged in?

Circuit breakers can act as a fail-safe against electrical overload, but they are tripping because of issues with either your wiring or faulty appliances.

Watch out for these warning signs in your home and if you’re experiencing constant power surges or electric overloads, it’s time to call in a professional electrician, like us here at Fluid Plumbing and Electrical 02 4346 4054.

Back to Blog